A bicycle bulit for two

A bicycle can be pretty tricky to ride if you are a beginner. I remember as a little girl, first learning to ride a bicycle. It was a little bright blue bicycle for little girls, with white streamers on the handle bars and training wheels to keep me up. I was so proud of it! I would ride that bicycle, hair in the wind,  all over the place, like it was my car, my way to get around, my own ride, even though I wasn't in school yet.

Occasionally, I would hit a rock or go through a dip in the yard, lose my balance and have a wreck. OUCH! I would get so mad at that bicycle and buddy I told it so! "Now you better ride right bicycle or I won't ride you no more!" After a spell of letting my bicycle think about making me fall down, I would go back over to it and say "I am going to give you one more chance to do better." And you know what? After awhile, that bicycle minded me, well most of the time. I learned to go fast, how to stop quick, make scratch marks in the dirt, go in big circles and through small spots. I was in charge of my very own bicycle.

Years later, as a grown up, I saw a very unique bicycle built for two. It's called a Tandem bike. Now that type of bicycle is even trickier. Have you ever ridden on a tandem bicycle? Two people ride it at one time! The one in the front, the first seat is the one who leads. They both pedal, but the front seat is the driver. That one guides and looks ahead at where you are going and watches for pitfalls to avoid. The front seat driver must have good sight, fast reactions, plan ahead, think quickly, and most importantly, know where you are going. The one in the second seat, the backseat rider, must be able to pedal and be trusting of the other person. They must know that they are capable, have insight, skills, knowledge and a heart to lead them in the right direction. The back seat rider must be supportive, encouraging, a cheerleader to build up the driver's confidence. It takes two to ride a tandem bicycle properly. Just like it takes two for a marriage to work. We both can't be the front seat driver and we both can't be the back seat rider. We can take turns and change up. But we must always work together. It takes two, using the skills and knowledge you both have, coupled together, making a team of two into one.

I used to be the one who wanted to be in the front, because I thought I was the best driver. Just kicking and screaming to be in that spot. "Let me be in the front!" After a few times being in the front seat, hitting some bumps, potholes, and running off the road, I see clearly now which seat I needed to be in. When I look at the actual job description of the front seat driver, I realize that I AM THE CHEERLEADER pedaling in the back, trusting and appreciating the front seat driver's abilities. And you know what, I am okay with that. Life has a way of teaching us many lessons and those lessons are great training wheels. Growing up and learning helps us to mature. Maturity gives you confidence to ride with ease in the spot you are designed to be in. You may not know all the details of the terrain and trip, but pedal and do your part, cheer the driver onward and be thankful for the blessings of your own seat. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Run to the basement

The "TO-DO" List